Miter saws are saws used to help create miters and crosscuts in pieces. A power miter which we are reviewing below is commonly referred to as drop or chop saw. The miter saw is a powerful tool that is used to obtain an accurate crosscut and is used for molding and framing projects. Miter saws are meant to be smaller to maximize portability.
The miter saw works by pulling a spinning blade down on to the project you are working on to make a controlled cut. The project will be held against a fence in order to ensure a clean cut and reduce the risk of accidents.
One of the biggest selling points on miter saws is that they are designed to angle the blade in relation to the fence. This allows for more angled cuts. Miter saws are dedicated to providing crosscuts and are not the saws to use if you are looking to make long rip cuts.
What’s the Best Miter Saw? 2014 Reviews
1. Hitachi C10FCE2 10’’ Compound Miter Saw: The Number One in Miter Saws
The Hitachi C10FCE2 is the best in the long line of Miter saws available. This corded electric saw provides 120 volts of smooth and accurate workmanship. The saw is a solid 36 pounds that can easily rip through fiberboard, aluminum sashes, hard board, decorative panels, wood, and plywood. The C10FCE2 offers flexible angles and awards the maximum in reliability and precision.
The miter saw is one of the lightest saws that maximizes portability and job opportunities. The saw is designed to be versatile and adjust between 0-52 degrees. This allows the operator the ability to easily change and manage cutting angles.
- This C10FCE2 offers a 15 amp, 120 volt engine that produces over 5,000 revolutions per minute. This allows the saw to rip through even the hardest of materials.
- This saw comes with a limited one year warranty as well as agreeable costumer service solutions.
- The saw is 36 pounds which is relatively lightweight for the brand of saw. This also promotes work opportunities and machine portability.
- The saw is versatile and allows for a more precise cut and sharper angles.
- There have been costumer reviews stating that they have experienced a lot of issues with the shipping processes and damaged equipment such as cracked machines.
- Because of the lightweight machine there is a risk of diminished stability in the base of the machine. Instability with the base can cause issues that might become dangerous to the operator.
Click Here to Purchase Hitachi C10FCE2 10’’ on Amazon
2. DEWALT DW715 12” Compound Miter Saw: The Trusted Name in Miter Saws
Dewalt has come back with a new and improved miter saw that promises to be better than any of their previous designs.
This affordable miter saw design provides an ample system that can cut through even the toughest of surfaces. This corded 120 volt machine promises to deliver accuracy that has not been found in previous models. The 15 amp motor helps to produce over 4,000 revolutions per minute that works to get the best cut in half the time.
The adjustable stainless steel plate provides a clean cut every time and minimizes the debris. The miter saw comes with fence that helps to support the project you are working on and minimize the chance of accidents. The saw can provide up to 50 degrees of capacity.
The Dewalt provides an affordable price range to take into consideration. Depending on the retailer and the additional attachments and products will depend on the pricing.
- The DW715 is produced by Dewalt which is a company that has built a reputation for excellence and consumers can feel safe ordering products through this company for that reason.
- The miter saw is affordable and contractors will not have to sacrifice a small fortune for accuracy and power.
- The miter saw comes with a 1 year contract for services and a three year limited warranty. Dewalt also provides excellent customer service.
- The miter saw is heavier than others of its category which can cause issues with portability.
Click Here to Purchase DEWALT DW715 12” on Amazon
3. DEWALT DWS782 12” Slide Compound Miter Saw: The Rugged Durability Professionals Seek
The Dewalt DWS782 is the miter saw that professionals have been seeking. This durable miter saw can rip through even some of the toughest materials to provide a clean cut every time.
This miter saw is capable of handling projects with delicate wood workings up to building and large scale framing projects with amazing accuracy. This miter saw is idea for frames, installation contractors, cabinet makers, and trim carpenters because it provides accurate results every time it is used.
The DWS782 provides a 120 volt 15 amp motor that can produce over 3,8000 revolutions per minute cutting project time in half. One feature that really sells this new Dewalt DWS782 is the fact that the electrical cord is threaded through the back of the machine allowing for less side interference and less risk of personal injury.
The DWS782 provides an easy to use fence bevel systems that allows for easy adjustment to angles. The DWS782 also comes with a cam lock miter button that allows the operator to lock all angles in place to reduce the risk of injury to the operator as well as to ensure that the operator can maintain the accuracy and precision needed to complete their projects.
The miter saw also comes with a unique dust collection system that helps to capture up to 75% of the debris.
- This miter saw is lightweight which maximizes portability
- The saw comes with a three year limited warranty
- Due to its lightweight base there have been some issues with maximum stability
Click Here to Purchase DEWALT DWS782 12” on Amazon
4. DEWALT DW713 10” Compound Miter Saw: The Framing and Molding Miter Saw
This 35 pound 120 volt electrical compound miter saw provides a fast and precise cut every time. This saw is perfect for cutting through anything from baseboards to crown moldings. The miter comes with a powerful 15 amp motor that produces over 5,000 revolutions per minute.
The miter saw comes equipped with an adjustable cam lock and bevel stops to help the operator complete the project with 100% precision. The DW713 even comes with a durable dust bag to help collect the debris caused from working on projects.
These miter saws come with a comprehensive warranty program that awards a 90 day money return guarantee as well as up to three years limited warranty.
- The miter saw is designed to be compatible with other Dewalt parts such as the DW7187’s laser system.
- The miter saw is designed to produce speeds of over 5,000 revolutions per minute allowing for precision in less time.
- This is the perfect miter saw for cutting frames and moldings.
- This miter saw is produced by Dewalt which is a brand that has been trusted for many years to produce the most outstanding saws.
- There have been some issues reported with the shipping of this product
- The lightweight design does not always hold up well against heavy duty projects.
Click Here to Purchase DEWALT DW713 10” on Amazon
5. Hitachi C10FCH2 10” Miter Saw with Laser: The Laser Precision
This 36 pound 120 volt saw produced accuracy with the help of an intricate laser attachment. This Hitachi creation is perfect for tackling a variety of different materials ranging through: plywood, wood, decorative panels, hard board, soft fiberboard, and aluminum.
The C10FCH2 provides miter angles and a certain versatility that is vital on the job. This saw is the perfect miter saw for operators in carpentry, framing, and various other woodworks. The laser attachment offers a more advanced level of precision that is important on major projects that depend on precision.
The C10FCH2 allows the fence to be raised up to four inches that allows even deeper angles to be achieved. This feature allows for the saw to produce a more versatile cut and allows a wider range of projects that it can be applied towards. The laser attachment system is activated before the saw ever sets to motion and works to ensure the exact alignment needed to get any project done.
- This miter saw comes with a laser attachment that helps with supreme precision
- This miter saw comes with an extended warranty
- The C10FCH2 is an affordable miter saw so contractors can feel comfortable that they are getting precision without having to clear the bank.
- There have been some reported issues with the laser attachment
Click Here to Purchase Hitachi C10FCH2 10” on Amazon
6. DEWALT DWS780 12” Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw: The Professionals Choice
This heavy weight Dewalt compound saw provides everything any operator will need to get the job finished. This 65 pound 120 volt miter machinery provides enough power to rip through even the hardest of materials.
With the double bevel it allows this miter saw to walk the fine line between delicate precision and durability that is highly sought after in professional job sites. This miter saw can handle dainty woodwork as well as deck building and other heavy duty framing opportunities. The DWS780 is the perfect fit for contractors, installers, framers, cabinet makers, as well as trim carpenters.
The double bevel system is easy to operate and allows for angle adjustments up to 50 degrees. This miter saw also includes a cam lock that allows the operator to lock all the angles in place to help promote efficiency and the precise cut.
- The DWS780 comes with a three year warranty from the manufacturer
- The DWS780 offers a 15 amp motor that is capable of producing over 3,800 revolutions per minute
- The power cord is threated through the back rail which helps to eliminate any interference as well as reduce the risk of accidents involving the cord.
- The DWS780 is on the heavier end of miter saws and that can diminish portability opportunities
Click Here to Purchase DEWALT DWS780 12” on Amazon
7. DEWALT DW717 10’’ Double Sliding Compound Miter Saw: The Portable Choice.
This 120 volt electric DW717 miter saw is a lightweight compound miter saw that makes portability its priority. This miter saw weighs in around 51 pounds and comes equipped with its own built in handle that makes portability a breeze between job sites.
This saw is designed to be sturdy and to provide powerful cuts with supreme accuracy. This saw system is designed with up to 11 positive stops to ensure a clean cut every time. The fence base is perpendicular to the blade that allows for cross cutting accuracy.
The 15 amp miter motor produces over 4,000 revolutions per minute that cuts project time in half. It is superb for working with molding or framing and is top of the line for miter cross cutting.
The DW717 miter saw comes equipped with locks to ensure that the project does not slip from the fence. The saw also comes with a feature that allows for detent override so that operators can adjust miter settings without risking the saw slipping into detents.
- This product comes with a three year limited warranty
- This miter saw is compatible with the DW7187 Dewalt laser system for miter saws. This product is sold separately.
- The DW717 is a Dewalt saw. Dewalt is a company that consumers have trusted for many years to produce the best in the line saws.
- There have been a few issues with the built in handle not being as secure as needed.
Click Here to Purchase DEWALT DW717 10’’ on Amazon
8. Hitachi C12FDH 12” Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Laser: The Professional Liability
This 120 volt 60 pound miter saw comes equipped with all the components to get the job done. This product comes with many different angle attachments as well as a dust collection bag, vise assembly, hex bar wrench and box wrench holders.
In addition to all of these attachments this Hitachi C12FDH comes equipped with a laser system to help ensure the perfect cut every application. The laser system is designed to be easily adjustable to ensure that the operator achieves the cut that they are hoping to achieve.
The 15 amp motor produces enough power to cut through many different materials ranging through soft fiberboard, decorative panels, plywood, crown molding, hardboard, and aluminum.
The blade moves at roughly 4,000 revolutions per minute allowing this saw to cut through the material in half the time. The C12FDH is the perfect saw for framers, woodworkers, and trim carpenters that are dependent on these machines to provide accurate precision and all around liability.
- This product comes with a 5 year limited warranty
- The laser system is easily adjustable and helps to predict the blades location before the cut is made
- The bevel scale on the miter saw ranges up to 50 degrees both left and right allowing the material to be secured in place when you flip the saw for additional cuts.
- The C12FDH is a heavier brand of miter saws which can minimize portability opportunities
Click Here to Purchase C12FDH 12” on Amazon
For reviews about other woodworking tools, check out band saw reviews.
10. Last Words
Miter saws are intricate saws that work to produce some of the finer wood works such as trim and molding. These saws are endowed with the power to accomplish any project that they are applied to.
Miter saws are judged based on their performance and how well they hold up under pressure. Miter saws are a staple in many carpenters or wood workers workspace. Miter saws are used to create crown moldings and other intricate pieces of wood working art.
Miter saws come in all forms and price ranges. They also come in different power settings and are ready to tackle any job that they are tasked with.