What Are Hybrid Table Saws?
Hybrid table saws combine all the qualities of a 3 horsepower cabinet saw with the lighter and energy convenient contractor saws. The hybrids resemble standard cabinet saws with their noise and dust capturing bases, but adjust and perform like contractor saws. Hybrid table saws are more energy convenient because they utilize 110 volts instead of 220 volts. Hybrid saws take the money and the portability out of the equation.
Hybrid table saws were envisioned to capture the best features of both professional and cabinet saws without the outrageous price range. Hybrid table saws are light weight and have motors that produce 1.5-2 horsepower. This allows hybrid table saws to operate on 110 volt service. Hybrid table saws represent the future of affordable table saws. They provide the precision famous in professional saws, while maintaining the clean workspace environment associated with cabinet saws.
The rip capacity for most hybrid table saws falls into a range of 30-36 inches. Cast iron is used throughout the table saw to provide stability. All hybrid table saws are capable of producing 3000-5000 revolutions per minute depending on horsepower. Blade guards and riving knifes are common accessories found on hybrid table saws. These accessories help to prevent kickback or work to reduce the damage produced by kickback. These safety features are vital in preventing injury. Each hybrid table saw is equipped with their own standard of safety measures that allow them to operate with the same precision as professional table saws.
Reviews of 5 Best Rated Hybrid Table Saws in 2016
The list provides information about some of the most popular hybrid table saws on the market.
1. Grizzly G0715P
The Grizzly Hybrid provides the best of both worlds when it comes to precision and dust collection. The quiet motor produces 2 horsepower to cut through any material. Anti-kickback prowls are in place to reduce the instances of kickback.
The blade guard comes with a quick change option that allows more precision. The riving knife is interchangeable that offers protection for instances when the project requires the removal of the blade guard during times such as when performing non through cuts.
The fence is an easy guide system that incorporates Camlock T-Shaped Fences that improves accuracy. The 2 horsepower motor uses a pulley system to keep operations quiet and to provide a more efficient energy transfer.
- The Grizzly is capable of producing up to 3,850 revolutions per minute.
- The Grizzly has a rip capacity of 30 inches.
- Consumers are getting the precision from professional table saws and the dust collection capacity of cabinet saws.
- This product weighs 450 pounds, which makes mobility limited.
>>> Click Here to Check the Price for Grizzly G0715P on Amazon <<<
2. Shop Fox W1824
The 2 horsepower motor comes wired for 110 volts and boasts a left tilt blade angle of 45 degrees. The spreader and riving knife work together to prevent kickback. This is accomplished because the riving knife is mounted below the highest rotation point of the blade.
The difference in height between the blade and knife allows the material to pass over the blade during things such as non through cuts. Non through cuts are cuts where the blade doesn’t slice through the full thickness of the material.
The riving knife is the barrier that helps to reduce the risk of hands or other body parts being pulled into the direction of the blade during kickback. The Shop Fox comes equipped with a polycarbonate guard shield that allows the operator to see the blade during operation.
- The hybrid table saw comes equipped with a low friction extension table.
- This product includes a 2 year limited warranty.
- Cast iron trunnions are used to promote safety as well as stability.
- The Shop Fox is heavy, weighing in at over 400 pounds. This weight makes it hard for online retailers to deliver straight to residences.
The 2 horsepower Woodtek has a rip capacity of 30 inches. The unique tripod base provides an easy option for moving the hybrid table saw around the workstation. The fence uses the Biesemeyer style and has a T-Square system that allows it to obtain its 30 inch rip capacity. The cabinet is fully enclosed and uses a Euro style dust shroud and 4 dust ports to collect dust. The blade has a tilt of up to 45 degrees, which can produce a 2” cut. The weight of the table saw is right at 225 pounds, a weight that promotes a more portable hybrid table saw.
- The Woodtek uses a tripod system to provide mobility and stability around the workspace.
- This product comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
- This product does not qualify for free shipping with many online retailers.
- There have been some complaints about the miter gauge not being of the highest quality.
4. Laguna Fusion
Laguna Fusion produces a 1.75 horsepower motor that is capable of meeting the rip capacity of 36 inches with ease. The Fusion can be plugged into standard 110 volt power sources. The cast iron table provides the basis of support for the project.
The Laguna Fusion promotes a 45 degree angle blade tilt. The rapid releasing riving knife and blade guard work together to ensure the safety of the operator while the hybrid table saw is in operation. 4 dust ports are used to collect dust into the enclosed cabinet. This feature keeps the work area clean and allows for more time on projects and less time cleaning up.
The Laguna Fusion promotes a cut depth of 3.75”. One of the biggest perks of the Laguna Fusion is that the base has built in wheels to ensure that mobility will not be a problem.
- Despite this product weighing 350 pounds, the built in wheels at the base of the unit provide the needed advantage when it comes to mobility.
- The Laguna Fusion produces 1.75 horsepower and has a rip capacity of 36 inches.
- If purchasing through an online vendor, ensure that you order through a trustworthy company. There have been many reviews indicating damaged units from mishandling during shipping.
- In order to convert the Laguna hybrid saw up to a 220 volt operating machine, additional parts have to be bought.
5. Baileigh TS-1044H
When you are searching for the perfect match between a cabinet table saw and a professional table saw look no further.
The TS-1044H provides the best of both worlds. The biggest selling point for this Baileigh table saw is that its 1.75 horsepower motor can run on both 110 and 220 volt power. This means that the operator can choose to operate on 110 volts or choose to operate on 220 volts, it’s a selectable option. This ability to select the voltage needed allows the Baileigh TS-1044H to run in any workshop whether it caters to a hobby or is a professional shop. The 1.75 horsepower is able to produce over 4,000 revolutions per minute.
Another major selling point for the TS-1044H is that the heavy duty fence incorporates a digital readout to document rip capacity. The operator simply needs to zero out the blade before operating and then during operation the digital rip capacity will show. This readout allows you to do away with guessing at the length of the cuts. 4 dust ports are utilized to collect dust and debris into an enclosed cabinet.
- The Baileigh hybrid table saw uses digital rip capacity. This unique feature allows the operator to control the exact length of the cut. This feature eliminates the need to make sections of material and can provide material that doesn’t need to be altered to fit into an overall construct.
- While the Baileigh is prewired for 110 volts, it can operate with 220 volts of power. This ability to select sets the Baileigh hybrid table saw apart from its peers.
- The TS-1044H has a rip capacity of 36 inches.
- While the hybrid table saw does weigh over 200 pounds, the base has built in wheels that help to maximize mobility within the workshop.
- Operators are cautioned to remain focused on their blade when they are using the hybrid table saw. While the digital rip capacity is an ingenious option, it can attract attention away from the project, which can lead to an increase in injuries.