Band saws are specialized power tools that utilize a singular blade that consists of bands of metal teeth continuously along the edge to cut through large projects. The band rides on a minimum of two rotating wheels and produce clean cutting.
These saws are powerful enough to cut through metal and woods of various degrees. Band saws shine when it comes to cutting odd angles or curved angles and shapes and are capable of making long cuts.
Band saws at times have also been used for irregular jobs such as meat cutting. There are specialized band saws that are created to help cut through large pieces of meat usually when butchering animals.
Metal cutting and wood cutting band saws are more popular options and come in many varieties with many different features such as interchangeable blades and station clamps to keep all your work in one place.
The reviews below will only reflect some of the band saws available.
Best Band Saw – 2016 Reviews
1. POWERTEC BS900 Band Saw, 9’’: The Small Workshop Band Saw
This band saw packs a punch. The BS900 comes equipped with a patented guard that is easily adjustable for blade changes and precision.
The band saw comes with a tracking window for the blade so that the operator knows where the blade is at all times. The smaller blade allows for more versatility in resawing and scroll cutting.
The POWERTEC comes equipped with a blade tension lever that allows for quick release blade action. This feature allows blades to be interchangeable. The table is adjustable up to angle tilts of 45 degrees.
This 2.5 amp motor is able to produce roughly 1,725 revolutions per minute and is capable of cutting through a large variety of different materials.
The BS900 weighs in around 50 pounds providing a strong base and maximum stability. The BS900 is the perfect band saw for smaller workshops.
- The BS900 can produce a 2 inch cut at 45 degrees
- This band saw is intended for maximum stability
- This product has an induction motor that can produce .5 HP
- This product has an aluminum casting table that is designed to be sturdy and hold up against whatever project it is used for.
- Band saws are not really designed for maximum portability and it might be hard transporting them around different work sites.
- There have been some concerns with blade stability. It is important to ensure that the blade is properly secured before attempting to operate this band saw.
2. SKIL 3386 01 9” Band Saw: The Beginners Band Saw
This 2.5 amp band saw is capable of proving clean and accurate cuts every time. The SKIL comes equipped with a LED light that helps operators view their works and their prospected cut lines.
The SKIL comes with a dust port that works to keep the area clean and minimize the risk of any dust related incidents. The 3386 01 comes with a rack and table adjustments that allow for height and angle adjustments. The motor provides one steady speed that can cut through metal and wood materials.
The SKIL weighs in at around 39 pounds making it one of the lighter band saws in its category. It produces 120 volts of energy to help get through any project. The band saw comes equipped with an aluminum work table that adjusts tilting up to 45 degrees as well as a blade guide that works to adjust to the new depth settings.
- This product comes with a lamp that is attached to the saw that helps to maximize visibility and gauge.
- This band saw is lighter and there has been some concern with the lack of stability that this might cause
- There have been some issues with this band saw not performing as admirably as advertised.
3. Jet 708718R Band Saw Rip Fence and Guide: The Attachment for Reducing Loss
The Jet 708718R comes with an 18” rip fence and guide. This 18” fence comes equipped to handle Jet band 14” band saws and provides two 18” guide bars.
The product is composed of aluminum and is built to be durable to hold up to the projects that it will be applied to. The Jet rip fence features additional low friction plastic points to help maximize stability.
This product is specifically designed to help reduce cutting loss. The Jet rip fence is able to guide a band saw through 12” of stock.
The Jet rip fence is an important product for workers who have experiences a lot of issue with loosing wood because of inadequate cutting. It gives your project an added level of security.
- This product comes with a one year limited warranty and offers customer service for all costumers.
- This product is 18” in length and weighs in at 10 pounds making it easily portable as well as storable.
- This product is fit for a Jet 14” band saw, this product is not included in this and is sold separately.
- This product is only the rip fence and guide the actual band saw is not included and must be ordered separately through the company. These rip fences only fit Jet 14” band saws.
- This product might not be compatible with all Jet band saw products
- It is unclear how much weight this rip fence and guide can tolerate
4. DEWALT DWM120K 5” Deep Cut Portable Band Saw Kit: The Everything in One Band Saw
This 120 volt band saw comes equipped with many different components that it is the perfect all around band saw for all professionals. The band saw come equipped with a 10 amp motor that works to reduce the energy that it uses and optimize performance.
The DWM120K is capable of cutting up to 5” deep for both rectangular and round stock. The band saw comes equipped with a LED light that allows the operator visibility in poorly lit environments. The DWM120K has rubber bumpers and a steel shroud that is able to withstand normal abuse experienced at the job site.
This product weighs in at about 24 pound that allows it to be easily transported around the jobsite. This kit comes fully equipped with the DWM120K band saw, the standard blade, hex wrench, as well as the kit box.
- This product comes with a three year limited warranty
- This product is capable of speeds from 100-350 sfm and comes with an easy access speed dial that lets the operator adjust the perfect speed for each project.
- Depending on the retailer this kit can be on the expensive side of the spectrum
- This lightweight band saw is portable but some reviewers have felt there was issues with compromised stability
5. Rikon 10 305 Band Saw and Fence, 10”: The One Workshop Band Saw
The work surface on the Rikon 10 305 Band Saw is composed of cast iron which is not a typical choice for band saws of this size but provides extra stability allowing the band saw to be used for more intense projects.
The 3.5 amp motor is able to produce speeds up to 2,780 feet per minute. The band saw comes equipped with a dust port that helps to minimize the mess produced while working. The fence comes with a detachable option as well as adjustable guides to help accomplish the angles needed for specific projects.
This band saw is perfect for stationary workshops that see high volume projects. It is not a good option for site to site jobs because of its massive weight as well as cast iron table.
- This band saw is built for durability and stability
- This product comes with a five year limited warranty
- The rip fence is detachable so that the operator may perform free hand works
- The motor produces .33 HP that allows the Rikon saw to power through most projects.
- This product is 74 pounds which is on the heavier scale and can make portability difficult.
- This product comes with detachable options that if not properly secured can cause serious risk of injury.
6. JET JWBS 14DXPR 14” Deluxe Band Saw Kit: The Professional Option
The Jet JWBS 14DXPR band saw comes with the whole kit. The band saw is provided as well as a stand component to complete the professional look and feel of the product.
This product is equipped with many new features from a cast iron frame, to a spring design intended to deal with high tension, this product proves that it is the best option for professionals. With added features like a dust collection system contractors cannot go wrong with this choice from Jet.
This JWBS 12DXPR weighs in at around 260 pounds making it one of the heavier band saws in its category. This Jet product provides contractors with a tracking window for their blades so that they know exactly where their cut is going.
This saw also is able to cut through many varieties of material from wood works and metal works. The frame is constructed from cast iron provided increased stability and strength.
- This Jet product comes with a five year limited warranty
- This product provides many different components that will allow operators to complete any project that they need.
- The frame is made from cast iron that provides maximum stability and keeps the risk of injury lower.
- This product is expensive and only the most skilled workers would consider the investment
- This product is heavy exceeding 200 pounds which makes portability almost impossible
7. Woodhaven 7280 Band Saw Fence: The Every Band Saw Fence
This fence is designed to improve the performance of your personal 14” band saw. The saw fence is designed to be easily adjustment and comes with brackets to help secure your projects in place. This fence is intended to fit a 14” band saws that support tables up to 16”.
This fence is so adaptable that it will adjust and work for many different brands of 14’’ band saws. The fence is intended to help you accomplish your projects through ripping, cutting tenons, and resawing as well as many other applications.
This band saw fence promises to be one of the most rigid fences that is available for use. There isn’t need for resaw guide with this fence.
- This product is intended to fit 14” band saws from many major competitors such as Jet, Powermatic, Delta, Ridgid and Porter Cable.
- This product comes with a lifetime guarantee that covers against any defects in the materials and workmanship. This product is produced in the United States.
- This product only supplies the fence and does not supply the band saw. This product is sold separately and this fence may not be compatible with all Woodhaven band saws.
8. Jet JWBS 10OS 10” Band Saw with Stand: The Job Site Band Saw
This Jet product comes with everything that a contractor needs to complete the job right on the work site. The Jet JWBS comes equipped with a bench that locks into place to provide the stability the band saw needs on the job site while also allowing the band saw to decompress and be stored away when not in use.
The comprehensive Jet band saw is capable of producing .5 HP motor that can cut through a large variety of different materials from wood to metal. The table attached to the band saw is composed of cast iron that helps to provide stability for the project being worked on.
The blade comes with easy release that makes blade changing easier than ever with less risk of accidents. This band saw weighs in at around 90 pounds.
- This product comes with a three year limited warranty
- This product is affordable and comes from a trusted company that consumers can feel comfortable purchasing from.
- This product is intended to be portable between different job sites.
- If not properly set up the stand and band saw can produce major injuries. It is important to ensure that all the proper safety protocols are followed and that all components are in their rightful place before attempting to operate this saw.
9. Rikon 10 325 14” Deluxe Band Saw: The Professional Workshop Band Saw
This band saw is everything that a professional needs in their workshop. The Rikon is designed to provide a stable performance.
The band saw is powered by a 1.5 horsepower motor that allows enough power to cut through even the toughest material. The band saw has a 13” resaw capacity and can easily slice through lumber. The Rikon band saw has two speed settings in order to adjust to the different variety of projects that it is used on. This product can rip through plastic, wood, and metals.
This product comes equipped with a dust port that helps to eliminate a majority of the waste produced when the band saw is in operation. This Rikon band saw also comes with a blade guard and a sight window so that the operator knows exactly where their blade is at all times.
- This product comes with a five year limited warranty
- The band saw comes with two different speeds either the 1,445 feet per minute speed or the faster 2,950 feet per minute speed.
- This product is meant for professionals and this is reflected in the price tag.
- This band saw is intended to be a stationary band saw as it is too large to be portable.
10. Grizzly G0555LX Deluxe Bandsaw, 14”: The Professional Band Saw on a Budget
A frame produced from cast iron, a sturdy stand included, the Grizzly G0FFLX Bandsaw has all the makings for a quality band saw. The fence comes adjustable to allow for blade leading and provides clamps that keep the project in its place.
This bandsaw also comes with a fence scale and miter gauge that magnify. The motor is powered by a 1 horsepower motor that can produce over 1,725 revolutions per miute. It has two additional settings that at 11 amps at 110 volts and 5.5 amps at 220 volts. This band saw conserves energy by allowing for different settings to match the project that they are being applied to.
One of the better points of this system is that the stand comes with rubber tires that make portability not impossible.
- This product is composed ith a cast iron frame that maximizes stability when the band saw is in use.
- This produce is CSA certified.
- This Grizzly deluxe product works to conserve energy by allowing for different power options. It also helps to increase portability by creating a stand with lockable rubber tires attached to the base of the stand.
- This product is heavier and that will reduce the portablity options
11. Grizzly G0555LANV 14” Deluxe Saw: The Standout Band Saw
The GO55LANV band saw is the same exact product as the Grizzly GO55LX except that the LANV is the anniversary special addition. Grizzly comes back with a new band saw and a new color scheme to help commemorate their 30th anniversary.
The GO55LANV is sure to standout in any professional work setting and in a positive way. Still able to provide all the mechanics and support that is predecessor is able to produce while looking stylish.
The frame is constructed from cast iron that provides an extra layer of stability. This product also comes with an open framed stand with small rubber wheels balanced at the bottom of the stand.
- This band saw is produced by a company that has spent over 30 years creating some of the leading power tools available to contractors.
- This band saw comes with a unique color scheme that will allow it to stand out in any workshop or small business.
- This product is originally constructed in Taiwan and may lead to delays in getting parts or replacement pieces if anything were to happen to the band saw
- This product is the same as the GO55LX except that it has a different color scheme in order to honor the 30th anniversary of the company that is producing the band saws. This will lead to operators paying more for their band saws than is necessary.
12. Delta 28 400 14” 1 HP Steel Frame Band Saw: The Portable Workstation
This 1 horsepower band saw comes equipped with a solid heavy duty design steel frame that provides stability for the large range of products that it is applied to. This product comes with two different speeds and voltages.
At 115 volts the band saw can produce up to 1,620 feet per minute and at the 230 volt setting the band saw can produce up to 3,340 feet per minute. This band saw is capable of cutting through wood, metal, plastics, and other various materials.
This band saw comes equipped with its own stand that has small little wheels that lock and help to balance the band saw when in operation.
This band saw comes equipped with a dust brush that lowers down on the wheel in order to help keep the workplace and the blade clean. A dust port is provided in order to help keep the workplace clean and reduce the risk of injury caused by dust related issues.
- This product comes with a five year limited warranty that covers labor and parts.
- The stands come with wheels that allow for maximum portability around the workshop
- Always ensure that the wheels are locked into place. Failure to do so can cause serious injury.
For other woodworking tools, check out circular saw reviews.
The band saw has many different functions that help it to produce anything from works of art to wood working master pieces. Band saws are perfect when it comes to long cuts or having to cut angles in wood.
They shine in many workplaces as they are exceedingly important instruments in any carpenters workshop. Band saws are judged by how well they rank with performance as well as many other factors.
Band saws need to have solid frames to withstand the wear and tear they experience in the workplace. A good band saw is built to last and endure every project that you throw its way.